expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday 12 September 2011

a cobbler topping on tipperary rabbit stew...


It's cold here... too early in the year for it. And in weather like this there are few things better than a slow-simmered, savoury stew bubbling away in the depths of the oven. But with stew comes a dilemma - what shall we have with it? Potatoes mashed or cooked in the gravy of a rich beef stew? Crispy, flaky pastry perched on top of a chicken and mushroom pie? Or even a herby dumpling swimming in the juices of a pairing of pork and apple. 

These are all good but my own preference for sheer ease and elegance is the savory cobbler. I made a my 'Tipperary Rabbit cooked in Bulmers Pear' recently (for the Irish Foodies Cookalong), it is rather wonderful - and on top soaking up the juices and going gooey and gloriously brown at the edges was a cheese and herb cobbler. Ring the changes and put this doughy crust on your own stew - it is very, very good.





4 comments:

  1. This looks great. Now all I have to do is find some rabbit. Lovely comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! Next time you get some rabbit can you order me a few please? The meat looks gorgeous and I am sure it tasted yum. It reminds me of a pot pie kinda sorta....Is this considered typical Irish Food where you come from? (The rabbit - not the stew).

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good idea! It sounds absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks incredible and I must say, I LOVE your blog! It's too cute, so glad to be a new follower! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Say hi, don't be shy!